Film Review: The Harder They Come

1.- In general, what did you like and dislike about the film?

I really liked how they portrayed their struggle to survive in a country growing into capitalism. I do not approve of the aggressive ways of the main character, Ivan, but that is the only way for them to communicate, because they are usually raised in an environment deprived of love, education and opportunities.

I also liked how the movie represented the loop in which a lot of member of society seem to be catcher on, who is, as I mentioned before, deeply connected with the capitalist system, that is implemented in countries who are not "developed", so it just take advantage of the outcasted by said system and his privileges. Ivan tried to earn money doing music, but he was looking down because he was poor, and when he was finally allowed to record his song, he was manipulated to receive little to no. money. 

I disliked how little role women had, but I think it the movie tried to be as real as possible, and sexism was engraved into the country then (obviously there is a lot of it nowadays, but maybe it has decreased as time passes by ), that's why they can create such a female character, because most of the women were repressed back then. Even though, I think Elsa was a really strong woman, because she had a lot of hardships in her life, but she refused to get carried. 

I think that the end of the movie was so sad, because he was finally able to reach fame, but it was when he died and because of bad actions and not because of his singing. It was even sadder when he saw people supporting him in his final moments.

Resultado de imagen para the harder they come

2.-Who is your favorite character from the film?

I truly can not say that I have a favorite character of the movie, I do not approve Ivan's violence (even more the way he behaved to Elsa), even if he was an antihero and the secondary character had little screen time. 

What I can say about Ivan is that he fought for his dream and he reached it, even if it was by the use of violence. He really had a good voice and deserved a place in the Jamaican music industry, but his career was left in shambles even before it started.

Imagen relacionada


3.- Would you recommend this film to someone? why/why not?

Even though I did not understand the purpose of the film till the very end, I would totally recommend the movie, because it portrays a social problem and it is the kick start to spread reggae around the world. Maybe it would be good to give some background before recommending it, so the soon to be spectators would know a bit more about the context in which the character developed and interacted. 
Imagen relacionada

Comentarios

Publicar un comentario

Entradas populares